Doing business with China? Then test your knowledge of Chinese business culture with our 10 question multiple choice quiz!
There is no time limit. Can you hit 80% to pass?
1. You and your team are meeting with Chinese counterparts for a business meeting in Beijing. Who should enter the room first?
The most junior of your party
The most senior of your party
The host's representative that met you
2. You are hosting a delegation of Chinese business people. Where should the most senior of them be seated in the meeting room?
At the head of the table
To the right of your most senior representative
Where they choose to
3. Which of these has the most influence on a person's rank?
4. If in China, which of these should you avoid?
Touching and physical contact
Speaking about family
Silence during conversations
5. During negotiations the Chinese keep mentioning that the proposal is 'unworkable' and that they fear agreement will not be met. What should you do?
Offer concessions to save the deal
Display some anger to demonstrate your commitment to the partnership
Suggest an end to the negotiations and assess their reaction
6. It's a nice touch to wrap gifts in...?
7. During negotiations in China it's always a good idea to inflate your initial price.
8. You are the manager and are holding a meeting with Chinese subordinates. One of them makes a suggestion to help overcome a current problem. It's a very silly idea. What do you do?
Speak bluntly and expose why the idea is not workable. The Chinese respect plain speaking.
Acknowledge the suggestion and state that you will think about it.
Reprimand the colleague. In China it is rude to make suggestions to the boss.
9. What is the most appropriate way to address a Chinese client?
Surname preceded by title
First name only
Surname followed by first name
10. Which of these would should you avoid when giving gifts?
Anything in 4s
How many legs on a typical dog? (e.g: 5)
34 New House, 67-68 Hatton Garden, London EC1N 8JY, UK. 1950 W. Corporate Way PMB 25615, Anaheim, CA 92801, USA.+44 0330 027 0207 or +1 (818) 532-6908
34 New House, 67-68 Hatton Garden, London EC1N 8JY, UK.1950 W. Corporate Way PMB 25615, Anaheim, CA 92801, USA.+44 0330 027 0207+1 (818) 532-6908